Thursday, August 4, 2011

A look back on Cas 100A

I decided to make my summer schedule very convenient. I picked two classes that were required just to get them out of the way, but both did not really appeal to me. I am not very into English, which both of these classes happened to be, but I had to take them at some point, so I thought I might as well get them over with. While English 15 I could handle, I was very nervous for Cas 100 A. All through high school I would get very nervous right before giving a speech. I did not see myself as a public speaker and now I had to take a class where that’s all we did. While I was very nervous at first, as time progressed I started to feel a little bit more confortable. After learning all the techniques of speech and not relying on memory or a manuscript outline, I feel as if I have improved on my speech skills and because of that the speech anxiety has started to subside a little bit. While I still feel as if I am not a professional speaker, this class has taught me the skills to be better at giving presentations or speeches in general. I learned how to communicate better with people and how to make more eye contact, without forgetting what I was saying or becoming more nervous as well as how to use body language the right way (not just nervous movements). All in all, while I felt as if I was not a good public speaker at first, I now feel more confident about my speeches, even if I am not completely there yet. I know that I am definitely a better speaker in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment