Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Miracle on Ice

As the course comes to an end, the example I choose for my first blog assignment does represent public speaking, however not in the same way I now associate public speaking with today. For my first blog, I choose Lou Gehrig’s retirement speech. Although this is a form of public speaking is not the most common. It doesn’t have to due with persuasion, motivation, or giving information. The speech is more of a thank you to his fans and family for always being there for him. Although it remains one of the most famous sports speeches, it is not a speech I would tie together with this class. Instead of this Lou Gehrig’s speech, a speech that would relate better to this course would be Herb Brook’s pre game miracle on ice speech. This is one of the most motivational speeches I have ever heard. It is the kind of speech that gives you the chills after listening to it. Brooks pumps you up as if you were about to put on skates and play in the game yourself. Motivational speeches are a big part of public speaking, especially within sports; therefore this choice of a speech is far better than the original I chose. My understanding of public speaking has changed since the beginning of this class. I am know much more well informed on the types of speeches people give, the correct way to give the speech, and all the little details in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment