Thursday, August 4, 2011

Monica: Before and After Summer 2011

I first claimed that body language was one of the most important elements in public speaking. While I still believe that body language is extremely important in public speaking, I have learned from this class that the content and organization of a speech is probably the most important thing of public speaking. Without a good and organized structure, a speech can be confusing to the audience and not mean anything to the audience. Learning how to produce successful outlines of speeches has been extremely helpful in organizing the message. Also, ethos, pathos, and logos have also been drilled into our heads since the start of classes. These three elements mean for credibility, emotion, and logic and are also key terms in understanding communication and public speaking. These past few weeks here at Penn State summer sessions have been extremely valuable. Not only have I learned more effective ways of communication my public speaking course, but I have gained a lot of maturity, independence, self-discipline and a better understanding of who I am outside of class. Learning how to cope with unfavorable situations and live with a room mate had made me more mature. Having to do my own laundry and take matters and responsibilities into my own hands has given me more independence. Being dedicated to my school work even though at times it was tempting to put it aside has taught me more self-discipline. Making all new friends and meeting new people has given me a better sense of who I am and the type of people I would like to surround myself with. I came to Penn State about two months ago not knowing what to expect. I was nervous about meeting new people, fitting in, getting all my work done, and the overall adjustment in itself. I progressively got used to my new environment and I can honestly say that I am very sad that summer sessions are coming to such a quick end. Overall, I have enjoyed the past two months because I have gained a lot of knowledge, learned many important lessons, and am now ahead of the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment