Thursday, August 4, 2011

You Stay Classy CAS 100A

Over the time I have been in CAS 100A, my view of public speaking has not been changed too much, but I have become much better at it. My initial example is an excellent reflection of public speaking but I now know that it is only an example of a commemorative speech, when there is all different kinds of speechs, informative, persuasive, celebratory, and more. I also have an even greater appreciation of the way Lou Gehrig gives his speech because I was nervous in front of a class of 24 kids, 1 mentor, and a teacher, and he gave his speech in front of thousands of fans, as well as all of the people that were listening to it on the radio. I have a new found respect for any boring speech that I will ever have to sit through because I know that the person who is giving the speech is having a minor panic attack because he or she is so afraid to make an embarrassing mistake. I have not learned too much more about actually giving speeches in this class, because I was already taught much of the information in high school, but I value my new experience in giving speeches. Public speaking, for me at least, only gets easier the more I do it. I may never achieve the level of comfort that some people have in front of a crowd, but I have certainly improved greatly in that department. Farewell class

1 comment:

  1. Yes! Identifying with the speaker's experience tends to make us more empathetic listeners - but remain critical (in the constructive way). :)

    ReplyDelete