Friday, August 5, 2011

Thank you, Friends and Instructor

I impressed this speech course, and this course became one of my favorite class ever. Through this course, I particularly recovered my confidence. Since I came America, I lost my confidence which express my idea to people. Before I took this course, I was a “yes-man” who keep saying "yes" without supporting any reasons because I thought people might not understand what I say. However, my friends and instructor gave me an encouragement to do well on the speech. This encouragement makes me that I can express my idea to forign people even though I am not good at English. Also, I recognized that many experiences are really helpful to speech, because when I compare to first and second speech, second speech is more comfortable and professional.
When I did my first speech which is a cultural object speech, I was worried it would be really hard to transmit my message to my friends, because English is not my first language. I did not even know how I can express my idea clearly. In addition to, I misunderstood the topic. I focused on the general information of Hanok instead of how Hanok affects to my life. When I watched my digital recordings for my cultural object speech, I could not even do eye-contact well, because I experienced speech anxiety. I try to do eye-contact with audience, but I was scared to do it. Friends, who did their speech before I do, were really good to express their thesis. I did not see they experienced stage fright. So, there was a tension that I should do this speech well. I put too much pressure on myself. That burden bothered me psychologically. After I finished my speech, I realized that I would not put pressure too much on myself, and I would focus on my own speech instead of focusing on how my friends do well on their speech.
After I fisnished my cultural object speech, I tried to do my best to fix the defects of my speech through my instructor’s and my friend’s feedback. One of my friends wrote on the feedback paper, I should understand the topic. I recognized that understanding topic is the most important process of the speech. If speaker misunderstands the topic, the audiences will confuse what speaker says. So, I made a meeting with my instructor to understand the topic completely. So, I thought this speech would be better than last time, because I learned how to reduce stage fright at the textbook. Also, the sources that I prepared were reliable sources, such as CNN, Bloomberg and many more, so it would not make confuse my audience because of the resources. However, when I watched the videoI realized that I kept shaking my body during I was doing a speech. It seemed that I was dancing during the speech. I recognized that this movement might interfere the understanding of audiences. Also, some audiences were hard to understand what I said, because my ability to deliver to audiences was not clear. Through this problem-solution speech, I learned that I would not do any behaviors which bother the attention of the audiences, and try to do my best to transmit my word clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment