Thursday, August 4, 2011

Reflection

Looking back, I had a much different idea of public speaking before then I do after taking CAS. In my first post, I said public speaking was usually thought of a a formal event where one person speaks to a large crowd. Now, I see that although this is public speaking, there are so many other types and opportunities where public speaking can take place. Some examples of these problem solving: either with a group of friends or in the work place, interpersonal: communication with family members or a spouse, and professional: which is the type of speaking I originally talked about.

The example of public speaking that I used was Sean Payton in the "Boys of Fall". I considered this type of speech motivational, which I now know is one of the four types of speeches. The purpose of the other three types are to inform, convince, and to celebrate. All four of these have a right time and place and all have a specific purpose.
My outlook on public speaking is still basically the same that I had before. However, with the knowledge that I have now, I understand what public speaking can be used for and now see how important it is. As I have said, I previously saw public speaking as a formal event and now know it can take place anywhere at anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment