Friday, August 5, 2011

Not so scary after all!










Entering CAS100a the first day of the semester, I really had no clue what to expect. Public Speaking was not something I was born with a great natural talent at and every time I used to hear the words "Public Speaking" I would cringe. I was expecting this class to be us speaking all the time and not as much learning how to produce the speeches. Luckily, The Art of the Speaker offered many strategies and tactics we could use, along with class discussions, to help us prepare for all of our speeches.

Looking back at my first speech, the Cultural Object Speech, then on to my second speech, the Problem-Solution Speech I saw great improvement in many areas. There are definitely still some areas that need some work as well though. From the first to the second speech, there was a major increase in my confidence level. I believe part of this has to do with the use of note cards as opposed to the use of a preparational outline. At the beginning, I had always done speeches with note cards before so I figured that would be my best choice for my speeches in this class as well. Unfortunately, after my first speech I realized that they may not be my best option so for the second speech I switched to using my preparational outline. This helped me keep track of where I was better and I flowed into my points more easily. Another thing that was better in my second speech was my stage fright. In my Cultural Object Speech I had many awkward leg and body movements that didn't look natural or planned. They were obviously stage fright. In my second speech I stood behind the podium because I needed to use the computer but it helped my stage fright and even added to my confidence during my speech. All in all, my second speech was better but I still need to work on the speed at which I deliver my speech. I talked extremely fast in both of my speeches but that is because one, I talk fast in person and two I talk even faster when I'm nervous. It's just another thing I need to work on as I continue to better my public speaking skills.



Not only will I be able to use the public speaking skills I learned in this class throughout my years at PSU and even in the future but my research skills that I developed as well. The visit at the library learning how to use the databases and relying a great deal on sources throughout our second speech, I developed great researching skills that will assist me in being successful as a Penn State Student as well as in my following years acting out in the community or at my job.


All in all, CAS100a has provided me with a wonderful experience. I'm very glad I took this course and I will now take what I have learned and use it in my everyday life. Thanks Mia & the rest of my LEAPers for making it a great CAS class :)

No comments:

Post a Comment