Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Reflection


In my first post I completed, the example I chose to reflect my understanding of "public speaking" was an acceptance speech made my Natalie Portman. However, it definitely does not still reflect my understanding of "public speaking." After learning about the different kinds of speeches and after making my own speeches, I've come to realize that
acceptance speeches are not as relevant as a persuasive, informative, or a motivational speech would be. I've also realized that there are so many other types of speeches that are interesting and that any type of speech could evoke an audience.
Over the course of this semester, my understanding of communication and public speaking has changed; I've learned that there are parts to a speech, how a speech can depend on the occasion and time, and most importantly, how to be a good public speaker. At first, I thought I would never be able to make a speech in front of the class, but now, this course has helped me overcome stage fright and any other insecurities I had about public speaking.
If I were to give an example of a speech that reflects my understanding of "public speaking" now, I would choose President Obama's speech about the death of Osama Bin Laden because it is memorable and it reminds me of everything I have learned about what to do in a speech; he gives eye contact, has a strong voice, and is descriptive.

No comments:

Post a Comment