Thursday, July 7, 2011

Computer Problems

One rhetorical situation that has effected my life recently is my computer breaking a couple days prior to coming to Penn State. The exigence of the situation is my computer breaking. At Penn State, there are multiple ways to get access to computers but not having a computer of your own is a major inconvenience in college life. The audience in this situation is the HP company and also myself. I sent my computer into HP for repair and they are the only ones that can have an effect on the exigence and fix the problem. I am also part of the audience because I am the one being effected by the exigence. One constraint in this situation is the bad service of HP. They have sent my computer back twice now supposedly having fixed the problem but the computer is still broke. I sent it in a third time along with a complaint and hopefully, I will get it back soon. A second constraint is shipping conflicting with the holidays. The shipping was delayed several times because of weekends and also the 4th of July.

The most significant factor in this rhetorical situation was the constraint of bad service. The exigence was a minor factor and if it was handled properly, could have been resolved within a couple days. Now, because of bad service from HP, this problem continues without a clear end in sight. Hopefully, I will get my computer back soon and will not have to worry about this situation anymore. In rhetorical situations, I could see the exigence being the bigger factor a better percent of the time. But, as shown in my current situation, if the constraints are big enough factors, they can outweigh the audience and exigence.

No comments:

Post a Comment