Friday, July 1, 2011

Natalie Portman's Acceptance Speech

When I think of public speaking, acceptance speeches and the cliché, “I’d like to thank the academy,” comes to my mind. The example I chose was Natalie Portman’s acceptance speech for best actress at the Golden Globes this past year. Seeing someone famous achieve an award for their work and watching their reaction to receiving it makes the acceptance speech all the more believable. Acceptance speeches, in my opinion, show great emotion and a tone of voice in which is a familiarity to all people. Natalie Portman’s naturally kind-hearted personality showed through when she spoke at the Golden Globes. When she spoke of her family, friends, and other people who helped her along the way, it made me, as the audience, empathize with what she was saying. Also, her fluency with words while feeling surprised and out of her element was very impressive, especially because she spoke in front of millions of viewers. Plus, it was enjoyable: her speech wasn’t too lengthy, she controlled her emotions, and she was, overall, pleasant to listen to.

Courtesy of Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLVUwSZtJMs

No comments:

Post a Comment