Friday, July 1, 2011

Personal Speeches

When I think of public speaking, my first instinct is to think of very professional setting such as the presidential address or a political debate on T.V. I think that the automatic response that I have to public speaking is very similar to what the majority of people would think. However, after thinking more deeply about all the different kinds of situations that public speaking can apply, I think speeches where the speaker and the audience have a strong emotional connection are the most motivational and effective. For example, I played on my girls golf team in high school and we got the chance to play in the state tournament my sophomore year. My coach was very personal and positive when she was speaking towards us before our first hole and that really strong emotional tone was evident. It was that tone that really sparked some life into me before the state tournament. My coach talked about what a great opportunity just being here was, and how to just do our best and play in the present. Because I could relate to everything that my coach was talking about, I think that was why it was one of the most effective speeches I have been presented with. Looking back, I realize now that my coach was using an emotional attachment to give an effective public speech. It was definitely a more informal speech, given without any nerves or anxiety. I think it is this reason that my coach's speech was much more different than the average definition of speech. When I think of someone giving a speech I think of their face turning red, voice quivering, and palms shaking. But because my coach's speech was more informal and personal (and given to an audience that she was very comfortable with), there was none of this anxiety that comes with more professional and serious speeches. 

No comments:

Post a Comment