Friday, July 8, 2011

Only Shot at the Title


One example where I was able to identify the communication process with ease, comes from my favorite movie The Fighter. In this movie, "Irish" Micky Ward is a boxer who is making his way up where eventually he gets a chance to fight Liverpool's own Shea Neary for the boxing title. During the movie Micky's mother, Alice is constantly controlling his boxing career and clearly cares more about her other son Dickie. Eventually Micky was able to talk some sense into Alice where she finally stopped controlling everything and let her son work with the right people that eventually helped him win a title. The sender in this conversation between Micky and Alice was clearly Micky himself. While Alice played the role as the receiver in this intense conversation. The message that Micky sent was, "Am I being selfish ma? Am I saying Micky, Micky, Micky because if I am I'm sorry. This is my chance at the title I won't get another one. Dickie's 40, I know you think he's coming back ma but he's not. Last time I checked you were my mother too." This finally got Alice to realize what she was doing was not only wrong but was hurting Micky. This message finally knocked some sense into her thick skull. Finally, the context of this was it took place in a boxing ring in a gym in Lowell, Massachusetts and the time of it was a few days before Micky's big fight with Shea Neary for the boxing title. Therefore, this was a very familiar example where I was able to easily identify the communication process.

No comments:

Post a Comment